Sunday, September 19, 2010

Flea Market Success!

When we decided to do The Stormville Ultimate Tag Sale we didn't know what to expect. Our only experience doing flea markets had been a much smaller one in Connecticut. At that flea market we only sold about 10% of our stuff and had to repack the other 90% at the end of the day. This was not much fun and we dreaded a similar outcome here at Stormville. Man, oh man were we surprised! When we arrived at 7:30 am we thought we had an hour and a half to get all set up before it officially opened at 9:00 am. The pickers and early birds always seem to find a way into these markets ahead of time and they descended on us like vultures on fresh prey. Anxious to see what was in our many sealed boxes they practically unloaded the whole van for us! During the whole unloading process, prices were negotiated, cash changed hands and by 9:00am we were up over $500. Pretty soon the gates opened up, the crowds came, and the buying continued at a brisk pace. Two of our most successful marketing ploys were the $1 blanket and the $5 table. Both of these areas produced steady sales until about 1:00pm when we decided to cut prices. The $5 table became the $3 table or 2 for $5 table. Sales picked up immediately once we did this and the junk left our booth at twice the rate. By the time we got to closing time at 3:00pm, 95% of our booth was sold. Hallelujah! We had almost nothing to take home!

No comments:

Post a Comment